General chat anything and everything
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 420
- Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:07 am
TORONTO -- Toronto FC officially parted ways with on-loan goalkeeper Julio Cesar on Friday, saying the Brazilian international had returned to Queens Park Rangers. The 34-year-old Cesar joined Toronto in February and made seven league appearances with a 3-4-0 record and two shutouts. He earned MLS Save of the Week honours in Week 7. The Cesar loan was always a marriage of convenience. Cesar had fallen down the depth chart at QPR last season, which was operating under reduced circumstances in Englands second-tier Championship. His weekly wages there were pegged at between 70,000 and 100,000 pounds (C$128,500 and $183,500). He needed games to stay on track to start for Brazil and the World Cup. For manager Ryan Nelsen, who also played at QPR, and Toronto, it was a chance to get a seasoned world-class goalie at a reduced price. Cesar also brought the allure of having of the Brazilian No. 1 at Toronto FC. And he served as unofficial tutor to Joe Bendik, who has regained his No. 1 status since Cesars departure and current backup Chris Konopka. Cesars exit was not unexpected. While the loan was initially said to last through December, Nelsen said before the World Cup that it was unlikely Cesar would return because QPR wanted him back. "On behalf of everyone at Toronto FC, Id like to send our sincere thanks to QPR for the opportunity to bring Julio to Toronto," Toronto GM Tim Bezbatchenko said in a statement Friday. "Wed also like to thank Julio for everything he brought to our club. He made an immediate impact and all of us are better for it." In truth, Toronto probably did not need him back. Bendik, 25, has been excellent with a 4-1-5 record and two shutouts Cesar could still be on the move. QPR has a No. 1 keeper in England international Robert Green, who made 48 appearances last season as QPR won promotion to the Premier League. Green, who posted a club-record eight straight shutouts last October, signed a two-year contract extension earlier this month. Retirement after the World Cup is not in the cards, Cesar said in May. "Im still under contract for the next two years." The classy Brazilian said his stint at Toronto was a new life. As a thank you, the team had one of Cesars favourite pictures, with the words New Life, framed as a gift. He accepted it with tears. "The guys in that locker-room, the way that he embraced us and we embraced him was very special," said Bendik. Speaking through an interpreter prior to leaving for the World Cup in his native Brazil, Cesar said his time in Toronto was well spent. "I feel like Im a better person being here after three months and experiencing what the club has had to offer me and getting me ready for the World Cup," he said. The veteran Brazilian has already won five Italian titles, seven Italian cups, the Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup. He was named Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year twice and nominated for the Ballon dOr award in 2009. He has been a class act in Toronto, winning praise from coaches and teammates alike for his ability as a player and easy-going personality. "Its just a pleasure to have a man like that on the team," Nelsen said in May. Bendik, who started the season as a backup to the Brazilian despite signing a new, enriched deal after winning the No. 1 job last year, has credited Cesar for making him a better goalie and calls him a friend. Cheap Air Max 720 Wholesale . This has become the Raptors mantra as they embark on a new era with a new regime and, in the not-so-distant future, a new image. Cheap Air Max 97 Wholesale . The Canadian skicross racer appeared to have the bronze medal locked up in the mens final at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, only to wipe out while trying to make a pass in the biggest moment of his career. http://www.fakeairmaxukoutlet.com/best- ... ap-uk.html .com) - The Grand Slam season will get underway Monday at the Australian Open in Melbourne, where a new champion will be crowned this year. Cheap Air Max 97 Uk . The move will give Hentgen the "time needed to support his family and his fathers current health issues," the Blue Jays said in a release. Hentgen spent 10 of his 14 big-league seasons with the Blue Jays, winning a Cy Young Award in 1996. Nike Air Max 270 Cheap Uk . The $145.7-million Tim Hortons Field was slated to open this month, a year before it was to host all 32 mens and womens soccer competitions. The delay has forced the Hamilton Tiger-Cats football team to use a smaller facility for the first two home games of the season.CINCINNATI – The Blue Jays come limping home after a 3-7 road trip in more ways than one. Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie were lost to injury in Sundays 4-3 loss to the Reds on a sweltering day at Great American Ballpark. Lawrie will be placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday with a fractured right index finger, suffered in the second inning when he was hit by a Johnny Cueto fastball. It was the third time on the road trip Lawrie had been hit by a pitch on the hands. He was emotional, welling up at the thought of missing significant time as the ballclub trudges through a difficult month, clearly frustrated at his bad luck in Baltimore, New York and Cincinnati. "I dont even know what to say to be honest," he said, before being prompted for more. "It hurt a little bit more than usual so it kind of made me feel like something might be going on," said Lawrie. "It just started to settle in when I was on first base and I had to go get it checked out. Its one of those things." An inning later, Jose Bautista came up with runners on first and second and nobody out. He stunned the Reds, the entire stadium for that matter, when he dropped down a sacrifice bunt. Bautista was safe on a bang-bang play at first, facilitated by a Johnny Cueto fielding error. Standing on the bag, he seemed bothered by leg pain. Two hitters later, Colby Rasmus singled through the right side to cash two runs. Bautista advanced to second and waved for trainer George Poulis. His day was done, tightness in the back of his left leg to blame. "I had a little tightness in the area for the past couple of days but playing through it and today just goot bad enough that I didnt want to risk serious injury," said Bautista.dddddddddddd "Just a precaution to come out; take a precautionary MRI just to make sure theres nothing going on there. Thats it, hopefully its not too bad and hopefully I can get back into the lineup whenever." Bautista said he "didnt feel too bad" after the game but wouldnt venture a guess on a timeline for his absence, preferring to wait for the results of the MRI. "Sometimes there are areas of your body you feel okay, if theres something going on, its better to rest it for a couple of days instead of rushing back and making it worse," he said. "Well see what the MRIs say." With Lawrie and reliever Brett Cecil on the disabled list and Bautista a possibility to join them, the Jays, losers of 11 of their last 15 after marauding to a 38-24 record to begin the year, will have to get creative with the roster. This could mean more playing time for Juan Francisco at third base. A Munenori Kawasaki and Steve Tolleson platoon at second base is less than desirable but may be required under the circumstances. At the moment, the Jays dont have a true fourth outfielder and would be well served to offset the disabling of Lawrie by recalling either Anthony Gose or Kevin Pillar. These are trying times for a club that only three weeks ago was the toast of baseball. "The bottom line is on this road trip we didnt pitch good enough other than a couple of days, we didnt hit enough and our defence was shoddy," said manager John Gibbons. "So, you know what? You get what you deserve and thats what we got on this road trip." ' ' '